Tuesday, March 2, 2010

when a child draws a smile

There are a lot of things I enjoy about teaching. One of the things that happen a lot to Kindergarten teachers is that we seem to receive a lot of pictures and little notes from our students. I love having my bulletin board on my wall beside my desk filled with colourful pictures and drawings. On most of the pictures there are cute little notes saying things like "I love you", "you are the best" and "thank you for being my teacher". One particular note brought me to tears. I received it partway through our school year from one of the little boys in my class. It was a pencil drawing of a stick figure and a picture of a sun and the words "I love you" written in kindergarten writing. I said thank you and how much I loved it. As I let him into the classroom, his mother pulled me aside and told me the significance of the drawing. This precious boy was adopted, which I was aware of. What I wasn't aware of was the fact that he has only said "I love you" to one other woman, his adopted mom. It brought me to tears and also the realization of the role that I play in these children's lives. For most of the students I am the first experience of what school is and what having another authority figure speaking into their lives is all about. It is a role I don't take lightly and it gives my the opportunity to connect with them on a great level. I have the ability to say how great they are, to laugh with them, to hug them or to wipe their tears. I am in awe of the way their eyes are glued to me as I am teaching them about patterns or shapes or how letters make sounds just like animals, I wouldn't trade that feeling for the world. The impact I make in their lives is rewarding in many ways...and I particularly see it up on the writing on my "wall".

4 comments:

  1. Love it Laura! Thanks for sharing your heart in your writing. Every child fortunate enough to have you as their teacher is better for the experience. They will never forget their kindergarten teacher. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone knows the impact a kindergarten teacher has on the life of a little one, I do after the day you came home from school and challenged my music knowledge for the first time against your own kindergarten teacher. Your heart is just as beautiful as hers was. I'm proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, this is beautiful! I am so glad you are sharing this with all of us. I will continue to read the stories here as more are posted! I love you and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete