Friday, March 5, 2010

a picture's worth a thousand words

I love how children enjoy every moment and take a lot of opportunities to share their love of life. They don't carry around the same stresses of life that most adults seem to carry. I have yet to see a child enter the class room in a huff because the car didn't start right or it snowed the night before or they just didn't get a long enough sleep. I do remember one day in early September when I held an open house for the Kindergarten class that would be starting that year. I had juice and cookies for them and allowed them the opportunity to explore the class room they would be spending a lot of time in. Near the end of the time when I was starting to say goodbye to most of the children and seeing the excited looks in their eyes for school to actually start the next day, I knelt down to ask one of the students how she was feeling and if she was looking forward to Kindergarten to start. She looked at me with her big beautiful eyes, took a deep breathe and said "I'll take it one day at a time!". I know often times in life and teaching I focus too much on the mountains looming in front of me and forget about the steps. I know I need to walk forward and in walking forward also remember to enjoy the scenery on the way up that mountain. In the scenery will be lessons and opportunities that I do not want to miss on my journey to the top. So just like that precious child said, I am going to take life one step at a time and enjoy the journey!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love it!! So profound. Thanks for sharing such a powerful message... You are such an amazing teacher and gifted writer. I am so looking forward to seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete