Thursday, March 18, 2010

my toolbox

It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not. ~Author Unknown

There have been many times in my 10 years of teaching that I have compared myself to other teachers and their methods of teaching. In comparing myself I sold myself short and told myself I wasn't good enough and I am not the best teacher for these children. I have even questioned if this was something I wanted to continue doing. I was constantly holding myself back from who God created me to be. I now believe He has called me to teaching and he has given me the tools to teach these children. I had, just for a time, kept that tool box closed in believing who I am not and it was getting very dusty. Now that the toolbox is now opened and in use, I have an infinite amount of tools and I am still discovering some of them everyday. Some of the tools in my toolbox are:
An adjustable wrench-for those times my attitude or viewpoint on a situation needs to be adjusted
A measuring tape-to measure my relationship with the students and the parents, and to look at myself; Am I measuring up to others?
A level-for helping me do things with precision, keeping things in line
What's in your toolbox?

No comments:

Post a Comment