Friday, March 19, 2010

learning styles

Last week we had a visit from the Humane's Society to teach the students about animal safety, particularly around dogs. It was very well presented and the children were taught how to "stand like a tree" if a strange dog approached them, and to tuck like a rock if a dog knocked them over. They even got a chance to practice it. I found this to be an excellent source of information for them because children are extremely trusting, and if a dog "looks friendly or acts friendly" they automatically assume it IS friendly. The students have not forgotten the lesson because it was practical, well taught and practiced. I know that at times I have seen students in the classroom who stare at me blankly after I have taught them something and they just are not understanding. It is at those times I have shifted my lesson, retaught it in a different way that is more practical and related to them. In that I have continued to remember and practice that not every child learns the same way and so a lesson needs to be taught using different methods of learning...Visual, Auditory, and kinesthetic (hands-on). It is not always easy to figure out which learning style works for which child, but with time I figure it out based on results how they learn the best. It has challenged me to plan my lessons accordingly as I only want the best results from my students. When they learn something new and they understand it, it builds their confidence and trust in themselves that "YES THEY CAN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment