Saturday, March 13, 2010

reading to children

I am often encouraging parents in the importance of reading to their children. There are not only a ton of benefits to their ability to learn, but there are relational benefits to. I distinctly remember being read to as a child. I even remember a lot of the books. Some of my favourite titles that I can remember are: "Cat in the Hat" (classic Dr. Seus), "Hand Hand Finger Thumb", "But No Elephants", "Harry and the Lady Next Door", "Curious George", "Popcorn", "Where do Butterflies go when it Rains", and "Something Queer is Going On"...just to name a few! I remember my parents reading them to me and I also remember learning to read them myself. This past week in school, I was reading a book to the Kindergarten children during their rest time when I got a flashback to when I was little. I couldn't quite place it, but then I realized it was a book I had heard read to me when I was young. The book was on an audio tape and the story was word for word with the book. I realized then how thankful I am to my parents for taking the time to read to me. I also realized that it wasn't about what book they read, but about the time that was spent, and the love that came with it...it stays in a child's heart forever, even 30 years later!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I think this may be my favourite blog yet...Maybe b/c I'm your little sister and remember Hand, Hand, Finger, Thumb! I loved the reminiscing of your childhood...*sigh* My favourite story that Dad read was Bugs Bunny and the Health Hog...I can still hear the voice he used for Porky Pig and it brings a smile to my face!

    Love your blogs, Laura! Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete