Today in Kindergarten I asked at the beginning of the day "what is one exciting thing that happened during the March Break?" One student put up his hand and said that he lost a tooth. I asked him where it is now, thinking it was under his pillow, or the tooth fairy has it or something cute like that. He answered, "it's in my yard!" apparently he literally LOST his tooth and cannot find it. I thought this was a very cute story and it never ceases to amaze me how much these students make me smile. Every little story that they tell me or picture that they draw (added another one to my board this morning), makes my day brighter. Regardless of my circumstances or "feelings" this morning, it all seems to disappear when I teach and spend time with these children. I am realizing that is what happens when I walk in my purpose...
when a child draws a smile
There are a lot of things I enjoy about teaching. One of the things that happen a lot to Kindergarten teachers is that we seem to receive a lot of pictures and little notes from our students. I love having my bulletin board on my wall beside my desk filled with colourful pictures and drawings. On most of the pictures there are cute little notes saying things like "I love you", "you are the best" and "thank you for being my teacher". One particular note brought me to tears. I received it partway through our school year from one of the little boys in my class. It was a pencil drawing of a stick figure and a picture of a sun and the words "I love you" written in kindergarten writing. I said thank you and how much I loved it. As I let him into the classroom, his mother pulled me aside and told me the significance of the drawing. This precious boy was adopted, which I was aware of. What I wasn't aware of was the fact that he has only sai...
Comments
Post a Comment