Sunday, March 7, 2010

Smile! Pass it on! :)

I have the amazing privilege of connecting with my students on Sundays as well as during the week. Our school is affiliated with our church and therefore the majority of the students attend church with me as well. I love walking in the halls with my own boys and hearing in the background an excited "Hi, Mrs. Barnes!" I turn and smile, give a wave and ask how they are doing, if they've had a great weekend and if they are excited about school the next day. I know that in taking that 30 seconds to connect with that child is not only blessing them, but blessing their parents as well. I have had parents comment how their child was so excited that I saw them at church and took the time to say "hi" with a smile. Someone once said "if you smile at someone, they might smile back." I have the easiest job when it comes to smiling. Children seem to have an abundance of smiles inside of them. They often become the smiler and I am the recipient. It is a good reminder that I am able to set the pace of someone's day with just a simple smile. When I greet the Kindergartens each morning they are at school, or Sunday mornings in the hall, I have no idea what kind of impact or "seed" I am sowing in that child or even greater, their family that day. Like another person once said "Always remember to be happy because you never know who's falling in love with your smile." Pass it on! :)

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I am so gratefull to read your stories, and in a small way experience your love for children. I am challenged to live life a little bit more as a child. I guess Jesus knew what He was talking about when He said: "Unless you become as a child..."
    I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite quotes. Thank-you for sharing Laura. I have noticed my own relationships with the children around me are growing whilst I apply these beautiful lessons and ways to "be"... Thank-you :)

    ReplyDelete