building strong kids!

I did an object lesson in my class in regards to the verse "Encourage one another and build each other up!" I took 10 building blocks (one for each student). As I put one down I said a kind word about one of the students, then I put another block on top of the first one as I stated another kind thing about the next student. I continued until all the blocks created a tower and each student had something kind said about them. I proceeded to then talk to the children how when we encourage one another like the verse says, we are building them up like a tower, making them feel empowered and strong. I then continued to show them that if a mean word was said, even just a little word, what would happen to the tower? I then lightly tapped the tower and, of course, it came tumbling down. I explained to the class that when a DIScouraging word or unkind thing is said that the person doesn't feel strong anymore, they feel knocked down. I encouraged them in the importance of our words how we need to "build" with positive words and not "knock down" with negative ones. Since then, I had a couple blocks at the front of the room to remind them. If an unkind word is spoken from one student to the other I refer to the wall and have them say a kind word to "rebuild". The wall is also a reminder to me to continue to encourage these students and build them up to be strong in the classroom, on the playground and at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

when a child draws a smile

a princess for a lifetime!