Friday, April 16, 2010

Grandparent's Day

Today was Grandparent's day at the school. It is probably one of my favourite "special" days as it is such a wonderful time of honouring. The students put on an assembly which is mixed with songs, poems and speeches honouring their grandparents. Each year is unique and this year was no exception. I sat in my classroom with one grandfather who shared with me his memories of Kindergarten. He said he hadn't really thought about it until that moment when he was watching the students engaged in their activities. He said it brought back good memories of the time when he was that age, 55+ years ago! Another grandfather shared with me how he is enrolling in Kindergarten in September because he thinks the class is so much fun! I also had a conversation with a grandfather who told me how important it is that children learn how to "be" with other children in a classroom. He shared with me how he grew up alone and how he wouldn't wish that on any child.
I know I have said it many times, but I love my job. I have many opportunities to share experiences with people, but I also have the privilege to see into their hearts. It is amazing how real people become in a Kindergarten setting. It is a space where people can be open, honest and most importantly just be themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment