Monday, April 19, 2010

the gift!


So one of my students gave me this beautiful "flower" today while we were outside. She was so excited to give it to me and insisted I bring it home and put it in some water.
As I looked at this poor flower (or whatever it is), I could feel the heart behind the giving; it was huge. Some may see the gift for what it is , a wilted flower, but in teaching children, I have the privilege to "hear" the heart behind that gift. I see it in their eyes, the excitement and joy. When that student gave me this flower and she heard the excitement in my voice and saw the gratitude in my smile, her world became brighter and she responded by skipping away with an even bigger smile on her face. Where else in my life am I able to allow someone to give and feel their heart. As I receive them, will they skip away with a smile on their face, or will they look like this wilted flower?
Where man sees but withered leaves,

God sees sweet flowers growing.
~Albert Laighton

I can change my world around me, one smile at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment