Monday, April 29, 2013

God's words through a child.

This morning while at school I received a phone call from my mom.  She shared with me that my Grandma had passed away.  It came as a shock because even though she was 88 years old, and even though she had been in the hospital just weeks before and now home, in my mind she was doing great.  My mom assured me she was in a better place and she is where she wants to be.  It made me angry to hear this as I feel I missed saying goodbye, and what about Grandpa who is now without Grandma?   In my sadness of the news and right before recess (the students were quietly at centres) I called my husband and shared with him the news.  I told him how she is now happy in heaven exactly where she wanted to be, that she went peacefully...saying the words that were told to me, but not sure I believed them.  Just saying what would sound "right".
After I hung up the phone, I went to a table to help a student with a worksheet he had questions on.  He looked up at me and said, "is your grandma in heaven now?"
Shocked and then realizing he probably overheard my conversation with my husband on the phone I answered him and said, "yes, she is"  He asked if she had eyes in heaven and if she could see.  I said yes, she can see with brand new eyes.  He said "does she have a new body?"  "Yes, she has a new body".

He then asked me "Is she happy?"....Choking back the tears, I replied with "Yes, she is very happy."

God knew I needed to say the words out loud.  He knew I needed the questions of an innocent child to bring me to the realization that, yes, my Grandma is happy, with a new body, new eyes looking upon her Jesus.  She is dancing with new legs and ultimately...she is happy.  I will miss her, but I have so many amazing memories to hold onto from the times we spent together here on this earth.  I know it won't be easy, but God used the words of a child to turn my moment of sadness into a moment of joy for my Grandma's new life.

I love you Grandma.  Until we meet again...

1 comment:

  1. Aw dear friend that brought me to tears. My heart is heavy to hear of your loss. But rejoicing with you for the flow of memories that you will have that will last beyond a lifetime!!! Praising God that this life is merely the beginning. It's hard to imagine how long we are blessed beyond this life to enjoy all of our loved ones!!! May God's tender hands comfort you and your family as your tears slowly bring feelings of joy.

    ReplyDelete