You know the poem "Everything I learned, I learned in Kindergarten"? Well, as a teacher of that particular age, I am still learning everyday; through the cute and innocent way they live life. Enjoy my stories!
1-2-3 what will I be....2013 class
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Another installment of "what I want to be when I grow up" in the Kindergarten class.
Then we had a visit from a real life NURSE! She showed us her stethoscope; she weighed us and talked about the things she does for a job.
There are a lot of things I enjoy about teaching. One of the things that happen a lot to Kindergarten teachers is that we seem to receive a lot of pictures and little notes from our students. I love having my bulletin board on my wall beside my desk filled with colourful pictures and drawings. On most of the pictures there are cute little notes saying things like "I love you", "you are the best" and "thank you for being my teacher". One particular note brought me to tears. I received it partway through our school year from one of the little boys in my class. It was a pencil drawing of a stick figure and a picture of a sun and the words "I love you" written in kindergarten writing. I said thank you and how much I loved it. As I let him into the classroom, his mother pulled me aside and told me the significance of the drawing. This precious boy was adopted, which I was aware of. What I wasn't aware of was the fact that he has only sai...
I received a beautifully painted picture from one of my students. It was a picture of two Disney princesses and it was titled "Always dress for a happy ending"! When I read that I fell in love with the saying. What girl doesn't want to feel like a princess? Sometimes, though, I find myself basing that truth on what others think of me or how they treat me. Recently my thoughts have shifted to believing that I am a princess because I believe I am a princess! If I am not "dressing" myself in that "gown" of royalty and the knowledge that I am a child of the King, then even if people do happen to say it or treat me that way, I still won't believe them based on my own view on life. Kindergarten girls particularly are a perfect example of this as they love to dress up as princesses; and they play the part perfectly. They are not viewing the world from any other angle but that of "I am a princess, I am worthy, I am loved." They truly b...
A couple years ago I added something to the classroom that has become a common place of comfort for the Kindergarten students. It was a couch. I put the couch in the room for a couple reasons; one was to give them a quiet place to read, the other was to have a place for them to go if they need a time to just be on their own for a moment. I remember having a place like that at my school, not only in Kindergarten, but in grade one and two as well. I remember having an old bathtub full of pillows in the back of one of our classrooms and when we were done our work we could go and read in there. I loved it, as it was a quiet place to be and a comfortable place to read a good book. I believe there needs to be places like that readily available at any age. Kids start out in Kindergarten with a love of learning to read. When they move to Grade one they continue to read and still have a passion for it. Unfortunately, in some kids, that passion seems to get lost and reading no longer is...
Comments
Post a Comment