I love how children have such a heart to give! I had the children one time write a journal page to finish the sentence, "If I could give my mommy and daddy anything, I would give..." The answers varied from a cup of coffee, some flowers, and a green shirt. One student thought bigger and said a new house and another student said a red race car. At first thought I wondered why some of them only wrote a cup of coffee or some flowers, but each child WAS thinking big because they were thinking with their heart, it is the only way, I believe, that children know how to give. Makes me wonder how "big" my giving is to bless others. I believe it is not about the size of the gift, it is where the gift is coming from. When I give from the heart it feels big because it is given in the right way. "It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. " ~Kahlil Gibran
when a child draws a smile
There are a lot of things I enjoy about teaching. One of the things that happen a lot to Kindergarten teachers is that we seem to receive a lot of pictures and little notes from our students. I love having my bulletin board on my wall beside my desk filled with colourful pictures and drawings. On most of the pictures there are cute little notes saying things like "I love you", "you are the best" and "thank you for being my teacher". One particular note brought me to tears. I received it partway through our school year from one of the little boys in my class. It was a pencil drawing of a stick figure and a picture of a sun and the words "I love you" written in kindergarten writing. I said thank you and how much I loved it. As I let him into the classroom, his mother pulled me aside and told me the significance of the drawing. This precious boy was adopted, which I was aware of. What I wasn't aware of was the fact that he has only sai...
Comments
Post a Comment